The AR-15 is a versatile and affordable rifle that has become one of the most popular firearms in the United States. It’s commonly used for hunting, target shooting, and home defense.
If you’re thinking about building your own AR-15, you’re probably wondering how much it will cost. The answer depends on a number of factors, including the quality of parts you use and whether you do the work yourself or hire someone to do it for you.
In general, you can expect to spend between $600 and $1,000 on parts and labor if you have someone else build your AR-15. If you do it yourself, you can save a significant amount of money.
The cost of an AR-15 also depends on the type of rifle you want. A basic model with few features will cost less than one that is decked out with all the bells and whistles.
Here’s a look at some of the factors that will affect the cost of your AR-15:
- Parts: The cost of parts is one of the biggest factors in determining the overall cost of your AR-15. You can save money by buying used or surplus parts, but you’ll need to be sure that they are compatible with the other parts you’re using.
- Labor: If you’re not comfortable working on firearms, you’ll need to pay someone else to do it for you. This will add to the overall cost of your AR-15.
- Compatibility: You’ll need to make sure that all the parts you’re using are compatible with each other. This includes the upper and lower receivers, the barrel, the gas system, and the bolt carrier group.
- Finishing: You’ll also need to decide how you want your AR-15 to look. You can have it professionally finished, or you can do it yourself. This will affect the cost of your rifle.
- Extras: There are a number of extras that you can add to your AR-15, including optics, grips, stocks, and more. These will all add to the cost of your rifle.
Now that you know the factors that will affect the cost of your AR-15, you can start shopping for parts and labor. Be sure to compare prices and get the best deal possible. With a little bit of effort, you can build your own AR-15 for a fraction of the cost of buying one.
Building Your Own AR-15
If you’re thinking about building your own AR-15, there are a few things you need to know.
Type of Rifle
First, you’ll need to decide what type of rifle you want. There are two basic types of AR-15s: semi-automatic and full-automatic.
The semi-automatic is the most popular type of AR-15. It’s relatively simple to build and is ideal for most shooters. The fully automatic is more complicated and expensive, but it can be a lot of fun to shoot.
Next, you’ll need to decide on the parts you want to use. There are a number of different suppliers that sell AR-15 parts, so you’ll need to do some research to find the best deal.
You’ll also need to decide on the type of barrel you want. The two most popular types of barrels are the M4 and the M16. The M4 is shorter and lighter, while the M16 is longer and heavier.
When it comes to the gas system, you have two choices: direct impingement or piston.
The direct impingement system is the most popular and is used in most AR-15s. It’s simple and reliable, but it can be a bit finicky. The piston system is more expensive and complicated, but it’s more reliable.
There are a number of different types of triggers available for the AR-15. The most popular is the single-stage trigger, but there are also two-stage and three-stage triggers available.
You’ll also need to decide on the type of stock you want. There are a number of different stocks available, including fixed, collapsible, and folding stocks.
Finally, you’ll need to decide on the type of optics you want. There are a number of different optics available, including red dot sights, scopes, and iron sights.
Paperwork FOR AR-15
Once you have all the parts, you’ll need to fill out the paperwork. The first thing you’ll need is a federal firearms license (FFL). This will allow you to purchase the parts for your AR-15.
You’ll also need to submit an application to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF). This application will require you to provide a detailed description of the rifle you’re building.
Once you have all the parts and paperwork, you’re ready to start building your AR-15. The process is relatively simple, but it’s important to take your time and make sure everything is done correctly.
Pros of Buying New
There are a number of advantages to buying a new AR-15.
- When you buy a new rifle, you know that all the parts are compatible and that the rifle has been built to exacting standards.
- If something goes wrong with your rifle, you can usually take it back to the store or contact the manufacturer for help.
- You’ll also have a warranty on your rifle, so you can be sure that it will last for many years.
Cons of Buying New
There are a few disadvantages to buying a new AR-15.
- The biggest disadvantage is the cost. A new AR-15 can cost several thousand dollars.
- Another disadvantage is that you may not be able to customize your rifle the way you want.
- You also won’t have the satisfaction of knowing that you built the rifle yourself.
Pros of Building Your Own
There are a number of advantages to building your own AR-15.
- The biggest advantage is the cost. You can build your own AR-15 for a fraction of the cost of buying one.
- When you build your own rifle, you can choose exactly what parts you want and how you want to assemble them.
- You’ll also have the satisfaction of knowing that you built the rifle yourself.
Cons of Building Your Own
There are a few disadvantages to building your own AR-15.
- The biggest disadvantage is the time it takes to build your rifle. It can take several weeks or even months to complete a project.
- Another disadvantage is that you may not have access to the same quality parts as you would if you bought a new rifle.
- You’ll also need to be familiar with firearms laws and regulations before you start your project.
So, if you’re looking to save money and have the satisfaction of knowing you built your own rifle, then building your own AR-15 is the way to go. However, if you’re looking for a quick and easy project, then buying a new rifle may be the better option.
Cost of Building an AR 15—The Bottom Line
Building your own AR-15 can be a fun and rewarding experience. It’s also a great way to save money. The cost of building an AR 15 will vary depending on the parts you use and the type of rifle you want. However, you can expect to spend anywhere from $500 to $1,000 to build your own AR-15.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started on your own AR-15 today.